Followers

2/10/2015

First Zentangle Try

Good evening, and welcome. Please help me say a big warm welcome to 2 new followers:

Em Louise of Creative Em

Thanks so very much for choosing to become followers here. It's so exciting to see new faces appear in the followers' list. If you want to see some stunning use of one of the recent blog candy prizes, take a look here: Shona's Stamping Stage: Valentine Love. Shona created a super stunning card with some of the goodies that were sent along, and I was so pleased to see it.  Do check out the superlative card Shona is sharing.

Additionally I will be sharing a lovely card we received from Brenda W of Inkspired to Stamp, with her first Spectrum Noir marker effort on a stamp that was in her candy package. Folks, she did an amazing job. DH said "You ought to show her the first one you did". Well, NO I'm not! Will share Brenda's card along with some pretty Valentine cards we've received - so check out the Cards by Friends tab at the top & enjoy.

Now, I have a few more Valentine cards, but have decided to share them all in one post, and just show the cards with no blather. Today I spent catching up bookwork, (the dreaded Visa bill arrived from my Heirloom Stamp Show shopping trip, and I'm feeling very guilty seeing how much was spent & feeling quite poor! Don't worry, as soon as the bill is paid, I'll get over it!). Also spent the afternoon trying to catch up on comments that have arrived for my blog, and now I need to spend some time visiting a couple of challenges I entered.

One night while vegging in front of Blue Bloods I found a die cut heart that had been used as a template (back of it had messed up stamping). Decided to finally try doing a little Zentangle doodling. Folks, it's harder than it looks - and no I did not hunt up any of the books bought to try to learn how. Got out one of the Copic Multiliner pens and started to doodle. So don't laugh! (well, OK, you can if you want to- I won't mind- really).

Here it is, placed  on top of that problem paper used on 2 Valentine cards. Hopefully you can see the slubs in the paper that make it look as though it is a pretty raw silk fabric.

 
 
Started the Zen with 3 zigzag doodle lines down the heart shape, then just started doodling more lines on the blank space between the heart edge and the first ziggly line. Then moved to the next one. You know what was hard for me? Trying to decide what the heck kind of line to draw! It ended up looking way too 'busy' for my eyes, but who knows, may find the books, and give it another try. It's a good way to be a bit productive while wasting time looking at Tom Selleck!
 
Ya'll have a good evening, and come back when you can. Always love to have my lovely visitors who are a joy getting to know. Ya'll stay warm. Big Hugs


32 comments:

  1. Love this Mary, and yes I can see the slubs - a fabulous combination of the tangled heart and paper.

    I agree, zentangling is challenging. I have done it while waiting for hospital appointments :-) Can't say that I would make it a grand passion, but it is fun. I think the secret is not to take on too big a space to start with. Pintrest has loads of patterns, with how-to's as well.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be very proud, I love your heart, and it's great to see how effective it is without any training. Gives us all hope! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely Mary! I've done a few Zentangle patterns now, but still look at the blank space at the beginning and don't know where to start. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card and image, detailed zentangles are amazing.xxx

    {The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo!! Blue Bloods I like watching that when in the States. We don't get it here yet, well we don't. Maybe some do via Sky.
    I really like your Zentangle Heart. I have tried it but the results are NOT for showing off. Yours first results are wonderful
    Have a great day
    Hugs

    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the heart. that paper does look like silk.

    My mum adored Tom Selleck:)

    Hope you have a good day. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, I've tried a bit of tangling too and I agree, not easy to start with. But I did find that if I stopped trying to think it through and just draw shapes and patterns without too much thought it seemed to flow better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it turned out good. It is very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a stamped image to me! I think you did a wonderful job on the doodling. Haven't done it in ages. Thanks for the inspiration (and the plug for my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard of Zentangle but wasn't sure what it was. I would not have known this wasn't a stamp. You did a great job doodling! I think you have found a new outlet for your "spare time"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A really pretty doodle Mary and looks great against that red background. This is very imaginative too - a Mary original! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job! Glad to hear I'm not the only one buying books on "things to try", and not trying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so admire you for trying this out Mary - and I love it so much I have pinned it! Great job Mary, I love, love, love it! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your zentangle looks great on here Mary. I've been wanting to try that and just not brave enough yet. Love that heart and the red paper!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your zentangle heart looks so beautiful, Mary!! I love the design!! I think you did a fabulous job!! By the way, I love Blue Bloods, too!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mary, well done with the Zentangle, it looks super and the card does indeed look like raw silk, it's lovely.
    I hope you do get Woolf Hall Mary it's s super drama and the book is so good. Hilery Mantel is a fabulous writer, but you have to stick with her as the style of writing is not to everyones taste. There is a sequal, Bring out the Bones, I think it's called.
    The drama is on tonight Wed, looking forward to it, take care, hugs Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Zentangle is hard to do!! I have tried it myself and it isn't easy. I have the same problem you do Momma Mary, don't know what to doodle. lol But I think your first try turned out awesome! I love that red paper and you are right it does look like raw silk fabric! I hope you do try it again, I want to as well. OMGosh that was Brenda W. first time using Spectrum Noirs?!!!! She did a awesome job!!! I think she has found her calling! I need to go catch up with her blog. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Way to go on the Zentangle, Mary! I've never tried this - I'm not much of a doodler and I am always amazed at people who can do this! Yours turned out so pretty! The cards made by your candy winners are beautiful too - you certainly gave out some awesome candy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fabulous Mary, a very intricate Zentangle design, I have yet to pluck up courage to give it a try.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would never have thought this was your first attempt of zentangle, it looks like you're an expert already!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks great for a first attempt Mary, I'm afraid it's not something that floats my boat...I can doodle to my hearts content in a meeting or whilst on the phone but don't ask me to draw with a pen on a card! The background paper looks lovely. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  22. great zentangling Mary - very therapeutic! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks fabulous to me Mary, I have not tried to zentangle, would not know what to do, except a load of scribble..LOL..

    pam

    ReplyDelete
  24. First of all, it's never a waste of time to watch Tom Selleck! I've never tried the Zentangle. It looks very hard to me and I figure I'd end up with what looks like a plate of spaghetti! This however looks like a heart! And what a lovely heart it is! Got your pretty Valentine today. Not sending Valentines this year, but I am sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well...I am so impressed. What a wonderful card, just amazing. Looking forward to seeing you do this again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Mary,
    what a wonderful Zentangle heart.
    You have tangled this so fab.
    I love your beautiful red background too.
    I did try something similar to tangle, only my own version on my Son words on the bicycle card, but no one mentioned it in the comments so I suppose it didn't look so good.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh, I could never do Zentangle so I don't even attempt it. You did a great job, Mary. That red paper is just gorgeous.

    I'm so sorry that dreaded Visa bill had to come...why can't they just one time give us a free month...one that is loaded with crafting goody charges. HaHA..guess that will never happen.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mary you do make me laugh with your comments. I think this is a fabulous first attempt love it in fact.

    As for you getting over your spending spree bill, with paying it, you are a naughty girl! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the shout out, Mary! I love your card. I've not tried zentangles for a very long time, but you've inspired me to give it another go :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Zentangle heart looks great. I am not good at doodling but love to see others work. The red background is gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful card Mary. The concept is very new to me. I saw another friend of mine did a card on the same topic. I don't do much doodling but your card has turned out very well with all your cute drawings :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your zentangle heart looks great, Mary!! I've never tried this myself, before, but maybe I should consider doing it!! And that red paper surely is stunning - I want to reach out and touch it!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete